-
March 23rd, 2007, 12:23 PM
#1
Inactive Member
This is a very common message but ONLY here at the user board.

I use Internet explorer and DO NOT want to change to another such as Mozilla or fire fox. This only ever happens here.
I think I have some setting in my computer wrong but have no idea how to find and fix this.
Sometimes, I can read and post in a discussion on page two of that discussion but not on page 1.
If I click on OK or X out, I am dumped from the site completely.
Can anyone guide me with this.
Thank you
Gary
-
March 23rd, 2007, 12:48 PM
#2
Senior Hostboard Member
Gary, have you tried clicking the link at the top right of the page that displays when you go to your PM inbox?
There is a link there that will clear all hostboard cookies, this may or may not solve your problem.
I understand and sympathize with your frustration, i regret we're not geographically closer because i think i could enhance your online experience by freeing you from the microsoft "collective".
After 10 years of self teaching/learning computers and the internet i now finally "get it", and i'll never buy, rent, or otherwise use or install another microsoft product ever. They have yet to produce an operating system that works as it should, and rather than fix an existing OS, they just introduce another with yet more and new problems................... how y'all likin vista so far?
I hate to ever outright "bash" anything, however microsoft is one company to whom i've sacrficed hundreds and hundreds of dollars for nothing but frustration and problems in return.
Thanks to the Linux operating system (free) and the Linux support forum (free) my microsoft days are quickly coming to an end.
-
March 23rd, 2007, 01:26 PM
#3
Senior Hostboard Member
Greets!
A pity you won't switch to Mozilla Firefox, by choice I'm probably one of the least computer literate folks here and its features, etc., makes the on-line 'experience' such a joy and what it should of been from the get-go. You're really 'cutting off your nose to spite your face' on this one IMO.
I've currently got (41) tabs (different web pages) open for ease of browsing, product comparisons, etc.., with virtually no load on the processor, so no perceived loss of 'speed' whether (1) or (41) 'windows' running. My Bookmarks are in a separate Window off to one side for quick/easy access.
It's probably just as well I didn't have all this computer stuff available when I was young or I probably would have never accomplished all the things I did and a 'Godsend' now that I'm mostly unable to do any more.
GM (Windoze XP Pro user because most of my speaker design programs don't work in Linux)
-
March 23rd, 2007, 02:26 PM
#4
Senior Hostboard Member
Howdy GM, Congrats on your 1000th post!
I'm just now learning about and preparing to dive into a Linux utility called WINE that allows successful installation and operation of most software written for the windows platform.
One of the most appealing and different features if Linux is the discussion forums where you can actually interact with the software developers. Seems they are more concerned with creating/maintaining a useful working operating system than generating a profit.
I still have XP on one system as i'm just not yet linux educated enough to bail completely out of windows yet, but that day is in my future.
Apologies for the topic drift Gary, just an .02 i felt compelled to share.
-
March 23rd, 2007, 02:32 PM
#5
Senior Hostboard Member
That same problem appeared here at the same time that intelitext feature came to
this site. I blocked that secondary site in the firewall and the problem went away along with the annoying text.
Some will say that your browser security is set too high, but I say that its never set high enough.
Congrats GM lets see number 1000
-
March 23rd, 2007, 04:26 PM
#6
Inactive Member
Interesting! Please tell me how to block that intelitext garbage because thats when this began to happen. If I am on the same page, thats the highlighted words that bring the pop ups when you pass over them. I hate that!
This happens when I click on the thread on the left side, the thread title itself.
For instance, if I click on Jammin Jungle Jims thread about speaker cabinets I get the abort message. If I click on page 2 of that thread I get right to it and can read and post but only on page 2 of that thread.
I did try Mozilla thunder bird and fire fox.
I am on a rediculously slow dial up 26.4 KBPS and downloading anything here is a chore.
Both of those programs work considerably slower then the one I am familiar with because they have spam filters and other safeguards that completely put my dial up into crawl mode.
I also do understand the thoughts behing Linux yet, I just can't get into learning yet another OS just because this site has some inherant problem that is causing this. Remember, I said I get this ONLY here and nowhere else!!!!!
Gary
-
March 23rd, 2007, 04:38 PM
#7
Inactive Member
Clearing cookies did not fix it!
-
March 23rd, 2007, 05:03 PM
#8
Senior Hostboard Member
gamalot: Hang in there. Give me some time, I will try to work on it for you, and see if I can find a solution. Preliminary from what I can see, it could probably be the Java(this a computer programming language) script that activates the advertising that is causing the "pop ups" to appear THAT COULD be causing your grief.
-
March 23rd, 2007, 05:14 PM
#9
Senior Hostboard Member
gamalot: When is problem start? Approximate date will be fine. Did you install any Microsoft updates to your machine. You can set the MS I.E. to automatically do operating updates, but I don't do that. I set mine to do updates only with my persmission, because I always take a "check point" before doing the updates, just in case there are updates that cause my system to go "awry." Sorry to be so long winded, but as computer user you have to be a bit paranoid about loading software that can do intentional/unintentional damage operating system on my machine.
-
March 23rd, 2007, 06:49 PM
#10
Senior Hostboard Member
gamalot: I can't seem to reproduce the probem on my machine. I tried using MS I.E.(Microsoft Internet Exploerer), and it works good for me. Are you using the current version of MI IE, maybe you're encountering a programming error? I normally use Firefox.
Maybe you have a virus, have you run your virus scanner?
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.
Bookmarks